Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson (3.5 stars)

This book is very special, but at the same time I couldn't have read much more of it. Lucky it's very short.

It's a clever look inside the head of an addict, but without a focus or even much of a mention of the drugs, merely what reality looks like through that lens. Things don't make sense, events seem to unfold somewhat at random, and most of the choices of the narrator don't seem particularly logical.

The skill of the writing seems almost wasted on something which is just never going to make any sense, but occasionally there's a dark poetic sentence dropped that reminds you why you are reading this weird thing at all:
But nothing I could think up, no matter how dramatic or completely horrible, ever made her repent or love me the way she had at first, before she really knew me.
All day long he watched television from his bed. It wasn’t his physical condition that kept him here, but his sadness.
I'd recommend this, I don't think it's enjoyable, but it's pretty unique.

3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment