Friday, January 6, 2012

Best of 2011 as read by G

The best (5 stars):

Special mentions (4.5 stars):

This year turned out to be a quite a bit of fantasy reading, especially since I climbed aboard the multi-thousand-page epic A Song of Ice and Fire series in November. Once I'm done with that series I think I'll head back towards some sci-fi. I broke my "There are too many interesting books to re-read anything" motto this year for Catch-22, which was hard work, but worth it.

I only had one really terrible reading experience this year that resulted in another book getting 0 stars. On another sad note I also read less books than last year, although I have some decent excuses having had a baby, moved countries, and started a new job.

Speaking of changes, the way I read has changed dramatically. This year marks the beginning of my move to digital. I love the convenience of snatching time to read books on my phone at every opportunity, such as standing in line for a coffee, or riding the bus to work, and then picking up the kindle for longer reading sessions. I paid US$9-$14 for each book (from Amazon's kindle store), which is the price and convenience point at which I decided to abandon public libraries. Having previously been a huge supporter of public libraries it concerns me what this direction means for the medium to long term future of libraries worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment