Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Hard Luck Hank: Suck My Cosmos by Steven Campbell (4 stars)

Campbell has managed something impressive with the Hank series, he's 4 books in and the humour is actually still really good. In fact, this one was stronger than the last. Belvaille has undergone another drastic transformation and is now only affordable for the ultra-ultra-rich, i.e. you need to own a few other planets before buying an apartment on Belvaille.

Hank's new butler Cliston is an incredible character whose objectives are completely at odds with Hank's, which produces some great humour. I also loved the cabbie Zzho in his deathtrap.

Still not as good as the first in the series, but definitely continues to entertain. Some of my favourite quotes:

This lady, if she sold her coat, her damn coat, could hire enough people to kill me, invent a device to bring me back to life, then kill me again. Her husband was one of the six most powerful people on Belvaille. He had whole solar systems at his disposal.
Garm and I had very different motivations, especially in recent years. I was never fond of assassinations and whatever else she did. She was never fond of poverty and whatever else I did.
She was pretty and had a pleasant voice and was a living organism, but that was the extent of her abilities. 

4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment