Sunday, January 12, 2014

Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan (4 stars)

Raising my two kids isn't even in the same ballpark as Jim Gaffigan's herculean task of raising five in a two-bedroom apartment in NYC, but I definitely still related to this book in many ways. It made me laugh out loud plenty of times, and I've found myself quoting bits of it to my wife days after finishing the book. If you're a dad, or going to be a dad, this is a great book to read. If you're not, it's probably good birth control. Here's some of my favourite quotes:
As a dad, you are Vice President. You are part of the Executive Branch of the family, but you are the partner with the weaker authority. In your children's eyes, you mostly fulfill a ceremonial role of attending pageants and ordering pizza.
...it wasn't just Jeannie and me; there was a midwife there, which means we believe in witchcraft. Actually, a midwife is a certified medical practitioner. She is not your "extra wife" and will not make you breakfast. I learned this the hard way.
Babies are the worst roommates. They're unemployed. They don't pay rent. The keep insane hours. Their hygiene is horrible. If you had a roommate that did any of the things babies do, you'd ask them to move out.
Nothing in my life has ever been as important as pushing the elevator button is to my three-year-old.
If you're a Jim Gaffigan fan you'll definitely already know some of the material. I watched one youtube video of his standup and recognised quite a few of the jokes. But in-between the jokes, the book is partly a love letter to his wife, and partly thoughtful reflection on parenthood but still in an irreverent style.
Failing and laughing at your own shortcomings are the hallmarks of a sane parent.
4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment