Saturday, April 16, 2011

Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam Jr. (3.5 stars)


This autobiographical book was the inspiration for the movie October Sky (an anagram of Rocket Boys): a story of a kid growing up in a West Virginian mining town who beats the odds to pursue his dream of becoming a rocket engineer. The pictures of life in Coalwood were well-drawn, but I felt disconnected from most of the characters. This surprised me since it is written as a novel, rather than a completely historical account. I found myself liking Quentin a whole lot more than Sonny - not only did he have pretty much all the brains, he often provided the drive and motivation.

I enjoyed reading this book, but I can't think of much to praise or criticise, and it isn't a story that will stick with me for a long time. One reviewer mentioned this book is one of those rare breeds where the movie is better than the book. I'll have to check out the movie and see if I agree.

3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment