Friday, November 27, 2009

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller (4 stars)


I read this book without any pre-conceptions after I had run out of library books. It turns out it is one of the best selling books of all time, which is an interesting and depressing list (How to Win Friends and Influence People beats Dune). It seems like every literature critic across the world has made a hobby of pouring vitriol on this novel, and that is balanced by an equally passionate group of people in love with the story.

The criticisms are mainly that it is a Mills and Boon dressed up as literature, the characters and dialogue are implausible, and the writing is something you would expect from a high school student. Some of that is true, but I didn't think it was groan-worthy, and I didn't want to throw it at a wall when Robert says 'I am the highway and a peregrine and all the sails that ever went to sea' as some reviewers have stated.

I think the story is very powerful and interesting. The characters and dialogue, while unusual, could be plausible for two highly educated people passionate about poetry and literature. Those qualities are so rare in modern society I don't think any of us are qualified to apply the 'implausible' stamp to the characters.

If I said I didn't enjoy it, I'd be lying. I do wonder if I read it again with those criticisms in my mind if it would be just as good. Literature intelligentsia, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment