Sunday, September 13, 2009

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (4 stars)


This was a really interesting read, based on the true story of the village of Eyam in England that quarantined a plague outbreak within the village in 1666. I had high expectations for this book after enjoying March, and it lived up to my expectations. My main criticism is the hurried ending. I thought Mompellion's story about why he married Elinor was ridiculous, which was then compounded by the bizarre flight to...Morocco? What the? If the ending had been more thoughtful I would have given it 4.5.

4 stars.

3 comments:

  1. This was quite controversial in my bookgroup - I ended up coming out on the "not that impressed" side. I have read it twice now and think that on first read it is much better - it has a very strong plot and the book is hard to put down. On further consideration, it is really melodramatic - I seem to remember one scene at the end with someone gouting blood in church (is that right?) and there are some typical forbidden romances as well (tortured reverend ending up in love/lust with the serving wench). I think Brooks writes well, and the stuff about the plague was interesting, but i think the plot was silly and you realise how over the top it is with further discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was the dramatic altercation in the field that was serving as a church at the end, but no gore. There was lots of blood in the childbirth scene...yeah that romance at the end was part of why I didn't like the ending and Mompellion's confession.

    The other criticism I have read elsewhere is that Anna was too progressive in her opinions on the rights of women and attitudes to sex for the time - ie. too modern to be credible for 1666. I think that is fair criticism. She also manages not only to learn how to read and write but in addition learns latin, is some kind of master horsewoman, fantastic midwife, knowledgeable herbalist etc. She reminded me a bit of over-achieving Ayla from clan of the cave bear.

    I still think it deserves a 4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I agree G. I noticed the unrealistic feminism in there too. Was still a good read, though. Probably 3.5 stars from me.

    ReplyDelete