Friday, June 12, 2009

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (2 stars)


Twilight series book number two, another dud, and yet I feel compelled to keep reading. Unfortunately Bella continued to be one of the most annoying characters of all time, I skimmed a massive section of the book filled with boring, verbose, pining after Eddikins:
I wondered how long this could last. Maybe years from now - if the pain would just decrease to the point where I could bear it - I would be able to look back on those few short months that would always be the best of my life. And, if it were possible that the pain would ever soften enough to allow me to do that, I was sure that I would feel grateful for as much time as he'd given me.

In addition to being uncoordinated, and so emotionally disabled she can't function without constant contact with Edward or Jacob, Bella is also dense: she couldn't figure out Jacob was a werewolf even though he told her in the first book and she saw him:
...the deep eyes seeming too intelligent for a wild animal. As it stared at me, I suddenly thought of Jacob...

Meyer makes it very obvious she is re-creating Romeo and Juliet, with constant references to Romeo (Eddikins) and Paris (Jacob). I don't mind her ripping off Shakespeare, it's a long-standing tradition, but did she have to beat me over the head with it to make sure I couldn't possibly miss the plot cues?

I like the personalisation of the mythical characters, Meyer has developed a whole set of strengths and weaknesses, history, and family interactions for the vampire covens and werewolf pack. This is enough to keep me reading, and I'll keep skimming the shite....

2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment